A community making a difference in the world

A community making a difference in the world

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Sometimes it really is about the journey by Alison Weaver


 

I’m writing this with the advantage of having read the posts form most of the others and I whole heartedly agree with what has been typed already.  I am very proud of the work we did and of my contribution to it.  But realistically, I’m not that strong or that skilled.  This trip for me was not about me making an impact on WV but on allowing WV to make in impact on me.  And that definitely happened.  I met Margaret and Geneva and some of their neighbors, the performers at Riff Raff, Roger and Greg at the Folklife Center plus all the tour guides and counter clerks at our stops.  I had many adventures, learning new building skills, eating jerky, having s’mores at the bonfire etc.   The huge surprise to me was the space in between – the car rides.
 
The car rides were not the highlight per se.  There were 12 hours in the cars each way to get to the Folklife Center plus a minimum of an hour and a half each way to the work site.  It was a lot of time trapped in a vehicle with 4 or 5 or 6 people. Any peevishness on the worksite does not have time to dissipate.  None the less, this time was primarily filled with laughter and heartfelt sharing.   The time in the car was not about one or two shining moments but a constant and subtle time to learn to love each other in a deeper way. 

My coworkers have listed many of the amazing experiences we had.  Certainly the car rides were not nearly as glamorous as any of the individual adventures, but that time together has its own special value.

No comments:

Post a Comment