A community making a difference in the world

A community making a difference in the world

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Curveballs

As the saying goes, life does throw you some curveballs, and I just got one.  Yesterday evening, while we were at Riff Raff, I got some bad new from my sister.  Her husband, Frank, got diagnosed with cancer last fall, and it has been managed with chemotherapy since them.  Unfortunately, they found out that it has spread to his liver and he has very little time left.  Maybe a week.

So, with a heavy heart, I am leaving the Mission Trip to be with my family.  I am now in Chambersburg, PA overnight and will be with them in Hartford CT tomorrow.  The moment I broke the news to the team last night, I got overwhelming support.  There was plenty of hugs and love and assurances that they will be fine.  It meant so much to me.  That means, among other things, next Sunday, the Mission Team will be leading worship, giving you some stories and reflections of how the week went.  I can't tell you how good it is to have such a good team, with strong, faithful souls contributing.  Each person has so much to give.  Even though I feel bad about leaving early, I also feel proud of so many good, accomplished people contributing to make the week a success.

I do ask you to pray for my brother-in-law in his final days.  He is a very generous soul, and has especially supported our mission trip, because he believes that this is what the gospel is all about.

At my core, I truly believe that when life throws you curveballs, something good can emerge out of it.  That is the message of Easter, and we are still in the Easter season.  It is our job to be patient and wait for new life, even when we walk through the valley of the shadow of death.  Pray for all those walking through that valley.

Pastor John

No comments:

Post a Comment