A community making a difference in the world

A community making a difference in the world

Monday, July 9, 2018

Surprise Summertime WV Article

Hi Everyone,
I'm back down at the Appalachian South Folklife Center.  I'm with my son Jacob this time.  He couldn't go during April, so he and I decided to do a combo college touring/mission trip vacation. We arrived here in Pipestem Knob this past Saturday evening.

We were able to join up with another church for this project, which amazingly, come from our neck of the woods.  We are working with the Hingham Congregational Church UCC this week.  The Pastor Peter Allen, his lovely wife Tracey and their Minister of Christian Education Sara Holland are here this week with about 15 wonderful teenagers who have already shown themselves worthy of some serious mission work.  Peter has been coming here for 14 years!

Our first day on the job was quite honestly a rough one.  I've been down here a lot, so I've been exposed to some pretty difficult living environments, but today was easily the worst I've ever seen.  We are helping a multi-generational family living in a cobbled together mobile home that is in bad shape.  Jacob and I counted about 4 adults and 5 children of various ages (with another one on the way), all living in the place below:






Our project for the week is to build an addition on to the back of this home that will serve as a new bedroom for Mom & Dad of the clan.  Here's a look at the back and some early work on the floor structure:










When I first looked at this place, a sense of deep sadness swept over me.  It made me wonder if we can ever even put a dent in "poverty".  But I've found that by just picking up a hammer and getting started, it puts that sadness into the rear view mirror, and moves hope into the foreground.  Every little bit does help.  It's all about getting past that first step. 

Peace and love to all of you.  I'll send along another round of pictures on Thursday so y'all can see what we've accomplished.

Joyfully Serve-ing,
Rick & Jacob Burke

No comments:

Post a Comment