A community making a difference in the world

A community making a difference in the world

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Bluefield

...I could feel it coming on as we moved closer and closer to the center of Bluefield.

It was if the despair was hanging in the air like a mist.  Everywhere you looked, buildings were either shuttered, houses were in significant disrepair, folks just loitering around as if they were just looking for somewhere to go.  Bluefield was a town entirely based upon the coal economy.  They were built from the ground up as a rail hub, and the good days had long since passed away from this place.

Our first stop was the Open Heart Homeless Haven Cafe.  We met Paula, who greeted us with a big smile, and thanked Jesus for sending us to her place.  This was a woman of deep faith who was taking on that despair head on.  Our friends Laura and Greg from the Appalachian South Folklife Center had created a working partnership with these folks to help combat inner city homelessness, and we were about to get a taste of it up close and personal.  

One of the young men that worked for Paula drove us over to a house that they had recently purchased for the foundation.  It didn't look to bad on the outside, but when you walked through the front door, and wandered around the first floor, an overwhelming sadness hit me square in the chest.  I just simply couldn't imagine people living in this place.  But as Greg told us "for homeless people, it's a roof over their head".

The main floor was rundown, but nothing compared to the basement, which was our next stop.  As we stumbled down the dark stairs, my head was starting to spin.  There was a room on the right that was just filled with junk.  It was dark, and smelled like urine.

As we moved forward, there was a room that looked like it used to be a bathroom, but it would need to be completely gutted.  To the left, there were two more small rooms that Greg told us would be converted to bedrooms.  New flooring would need to be laid down and painted.  Walls would have to be repaired and painted.  Windows and doors would have to be replaced.  Truly a complete rehab would be necessary to make this place habitable.  But if I learned anything this week - Greg can do it.  He is a dedicated, committed guy.  We saw another house after that, but it was too run down to become much of anything besides a storage unit.

After a wonderful lunch back at the Open Heart Cafe, we went to our next stop, The Wade Center.  This remarkable mission provides after school services for at risk children.  We got a wonderful tour of the place by the principal "Miss Page".  She was wonderful, and clearly a sharp lady.  And then, the moment we had been waiting for - the children.  We rolled into the cafeteria, and were immediately swarmed by the most beautiful children.  They were like little angels.  "What's your favorite basketball team?  Where do you come from?  Do you have any kids?  Why are you here?"  I showed them a bunch of pictures of my family and they especially liked the pictures of the awesome fish tank my man Jacob and I built together.

The hardest part was learning some of the stories about the children, and the broken homes many of them came from.  I met Lexi, Trayvon and Elijah.  Their mom and dad had recently passed away (don't want to know how), and these 3 little babies were now living with grandma.  My other buddy, Emory, he let us know his dad was in prison for stabbing a police officer.  It was just one story after another.

In the car on the way home, I was pretty quiet.  I had worked my muscles into an unbelievable state of fatigue the first 3 days, but this day hit me harder than the 3 other days combined.

There is so much work to do here.  I can't allow the despair to overwhelm me.  I am strong, and God will help me, our mission team, and our congregation make a difference in the lives of these people. This, is what we were meant to do!

Tonight, for sure, I'll be praying...

Lord, let me be an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, let me sow pardon
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy....

This will probably be my last blog post. We've got a half day tomorrow, then Terry and I head back to the North Carolina. I'll catch a flight home so I can join in on the last half of Jacob's Eagle Scout project over the weekend. This year's mission trip has been a privilege and an unbelievable learning experience. I'm already looking forward to the next one. Thanks everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment