A community making a difference in the world

A community making a difference in the world

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

We lead such chaotic, over scheduled lives.  All of us.  Sometimes I feel like my head gets filled up with so much noise from all the activity and concerns of daily life that I can't think straight.  I go to church on Sunday's, and it absolutely fills my spiritual gas tank, but sure enough, Monday morning comes along, the alarm goes off, my feet hit the floor, and the race of the week starts all over again. That spiritual gas tank moves to empty way too fast.

Coming to West Virginia has allowed me to step off the treadmill of daily life, take a break from my self, and let God's will work it's magic on me.

And today was a truly magical day.  I fixed a concrete wall.  I moved a giant pile of rocks (again).  I stained the porch of our log cabin, John and I knocked off staining another complete wall on the cabin (only 1 left).  I spent about 20" sitting on the front stoop talking to Greg, the on-site fix-it guy, and learned all about his family, and how this Christmas, he was agonizing over buying a $5 toy for his son.  I listened, and I offered the only thing I could muster - words of encouragement.  John and I spent 20" talking to Laura about marketing strategies to bring in new visitors.  And then this evening - before another amazing dinner served to us by our super chef Terry - we were treated to an absolutely fascinating lesson by a local music professor about the history of the banjo.

But my favorite part of the day came around midday.  I had just finished staining the deck, and I sat down in what has now become "my" rocking chair, in the middle of this enormous field of grass, with the wind whispering through the pine trees behind me, butterflies flying across the meadow, bees buzzing around my head - and I just stopped.  I let the warm breezes just wash over me, and I felt the presence of God in this place.  I could feel all of my troubles washing away.

And right about that time, in the background, I heard my iPhone playing Simon and Garfunkel - Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters.  And that's when it hit me.  Mission work to me is like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters.  It's God, working his awesomeness in my life, opening up his arms and saying cross over the bridge of your everyday life.  Come work with me for a while, and I will bring you peace.  And has he ever.  I feel totally at peace here.

The day is nearly over, and my back is sore from the work, but I will sleep soundly tonight, and I'm already looking forward to what tomorrow holds.  I know my father has some great things in store for me.

Peace be with all of you back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment